I finally got in some beta time on Sunday. Here are a few impressions.
- Prophet Velen is all powerful now, and he’s using that power to troll everyone.
- His words inspire, but they also cause massive lag and disconnects, and he won’t shut up.
- This bug really needs to be fixed. It doesn’t just affect Shadow Moon Valley. It affects all of Draenor.
- City portals now pulsate. They grow and shrink. I find it distracting and annoying, and unnecessary. If you really want to change portals, how about making it harder for Mages to troll the party?
- Pets are a little buggy right now. My wolf “wandered off” at one point and I had to quest without a pet for a while. I couldn’t dismiss, revive, heal, or call. Nothing would work.
- Things die very quickly while questing, so even without a pet it’s pretty easy.
- I forgot to copy Darkbrew over with the Garrosh bow and I can’t mail it to him from another character. I get an error.
- I’m curious to see how the Garrosh bow scales up each level and how it compares to my heroic, err… Mythic weapon. I have the flex, err… Heroic heirloom.
- We really have been squished. It’s weird seeing such small stat numbers on gear now. We’re still powerful, but it looks weird.
- Hit and Expertise are indeed gone and they’ve been replaced with Crit and Haste on gems and gear.
- If you’re a new 90 you will get some nice starter gear from the intro. event.
- I’ve read War Crimes and now done the intro event. It’s still not clear what Garrosh has been up to. I guess that will be unveiled as we level up and play this expansion.
- The intro event was fun and it’s where I tamed my void wolf, Haze.
- Void wolves look amazing. I’m afraid to get attached as it’s not clear if they’re intended to be tameable or not. I’ve reach out to Muffinus for clarification.
— Darkbrew (@TheBrewHall) June 30, 2014
- Shadow Moon Valley may be the prettiest zone ever created in WoW. I hope the other zones are equally impressive.
- The new character models are incredible. It’s not just players that are updated, it’s all the NPCs. This is good because I spend the majority of time looking at my character from behind.
- Blizzard really needs to give players a free customization when the expansion launches.
- Addons are currently disabled in the beta.
- You don’t realize how dependent you become on them until you don’t have them.
- One of the addons I rely on is OminiCC. I’ve used it for years. It’s functionality is now built into the game and is an option you can turn on. Another addon bites the dust.
- I mostly miss not having my action bar, unit frames and bag addons. If I could have those, I’d be very happy right now.
- Garrisons are shaping up to be a great feature. I’m intrigued.
- Then end of this expansion is a long way off, but I suspect I’ll be sad to leave my Garrison in the next expansion.