In Wrath of the Lich King Hunters were the beneficiaries of one the greatest pieces of loot all-time – The Darkmoon Card: Greatness. This little workhorse of a trinket lasted many a hunter into patch 3.2, and some still had it equipped when they entered Icecrown Citadel.
Now Cataclysm is here and along with it comes a new Darkmoon Card that looks deceptively enticing for hunters; the Darkmoon Card: Hurricane. Boasting 321 agility and a proc that looks like it’s a match made in heaven for Survival hunters. On the surface this looks like an outstanding trinket, but sadly it’s not.
I don’t have this trinket myself, but I’ve been considering hit. Here are some things that others are reporting about it (you can follow the discussion and see what other are reporting in this thread on Elitist Jerks.)
- The proc, called Lightning Strike, is on the spell hit and spell crit table. This means even with a 961 hit rating we can still miss with it and it’s crit rate will be lower.
- It does not proc off of Black Arrow, Explosive Shot or Serpent Sting. Only auto-shot, Arcane Shot and Cobra Shot.
- The proc damage scales with Survival’s Mastery.
- It has a very low proc rate for Survival Hunters (it’s unclear how it performs with other specs).
- In raid fights it appears to account for less than 2% overall damage and contributes about as much dps as Arcane Shot.
Costing anywhere from 15-30K gold this trinket is not cheap, and will likely be replaced by other trinkets such as Essence of the Cyclone and Prestor’s Talisman of Machination.
Now acquiring those trinkets requires you to kill raid bosses; one of them and end-boss. If you’re just starting to raid it could be some time before see either of those. Fluid Death is another option that can be purchased with Valor Points. It is however, loaded with hit that you may not need.
So depending on your trinket needs, and how deep your pockets are, Hurricane could suit you, but don’t expect to face Deathwing with it still equipped. It’s not terrible but it ain’t Greatness.