I’m contemplating dropping Engineering and picking up Blacksmithing. And by contemplating I mean if I had all the mats to power grind it I’d probably do it. I actually started farming them over the weekend, and while it’s insanely dull, it’s not taking nearly as long as I’d thought.
I’m using wow-professions.com to steer me through the process. In a few short hours I’ve managed to farm all of the mats except for a few hundred Thorium, Cobalt and Saronite. The Thorium will probably take me the longest to get. Still I should have everything I need to make the switch in only a few days time. Not bad at all. And if I had opted to purchase some of the mats the gathering time could be reduced further. So why bother with this?
Reasons to make the switch include,
- Gem socket for gloves.
- Gem socket for bracers.
- Allows for a little more flexibility in terms of itemization.
- BS pairs nicely with Jewelcrafting.
Reasons to to not make the switch include,
- I like having an AH in Dalaran.
- I like making my own ammo.
- I like my rofl copter.
- I like playing around with the engineering gadgets. The other night I flew atop Icecrown Citadel and used my Nitro boots to rocket me off the platform in the direction of Dalaran. Unfortunately I was headed for impact with the citadel so I was forced to use my parachute much earlier than I wanted. I fell to my death right by the Dalaran portal in Crystal Song forest. Good times 🙂
- Cataclysm – We don’t know how the professions will change, but there’s always a chance that Engineering could be given some love and I’ll wish I hadn’t dropped it.
While my reasons to stay outnumber my reasons to switch, they represent things I can certainly live without. We’ll see how this shakes out. Worse case, if I decide not to do it, I’ll have some nice mats to sell on the AH 😉