So what exactly is a progression night? Well for our guild it’s defined as any night that we’re attempting bosses that we haven’t killed or do not yet have on farm status. For you progression night can be defined as any boss that you have never defeated before.
Progression nights are tough and can be quite frustrating. Wipes are inevitable and there’s no guarantee that you’ll down a boss.
As much as I like to have fun and joke around, progression nights are challenging and they require extra vigilance and focus if your group is going to succeed. On these nights it’s important that you,
- Listen to the raid leader at all times. He’ll be explaining things you need to know.
- Ask questions. If you are a tank or healer you should confirm your assignments before the boss pull. If you are dps you may have a task to perform (other than hitting the boss). Just make certain you know your role before the fight starts.
- You should keep Vent clear, not only during boss encounters, but also while clearing trash.
- Buff up to the max! Eat foods, use flasks or elixirs. You should have healing and mana potions. It’s even more vital to be buffed up in these hard encounters, because it’s here that the extra damage, healing, health and mana are needed.
- Expect to wipe. This isn’t meant to be negative, and we’ve one-shotted bosses before, but that’s the exception and not the rule.
- Don’t point fingers, this is a team effort and you all need to work together.
- Bring your A-game. Be mindful of the commitment folks have made to be here. You want this time to be productive and fun.
- Make sure you’ve followed the advice posted here.
While I would advocate you treat any raid night the same as a progression night, the truth is that once you have something on farm you can get away with just going through the motions. In fact once you’ve reached that point you actually have to work to screw things up.